Equality & Accessibility
Schools are required under the Equality Act 2010 to have an accessibility plan. The purpose of the accessibility plan is to ensure that all pupils have access to education in the three areas required by the planning duties in the Equality Act 2010:
- * Increase the extent to which disabled pupils can participate in the curriculum
- * Improve the physical environment of the school to enable disabled pupils to take better advantage of education, benefits, facilities and services provided
- * Improve the availability of accessible information to disabled pupils
Our school aims to treat all its pupils fairly and with respect. This involves providing access and opportunities for all pupils without discrimination of any kind. This policy works alongside our Equality policy which is designed to help staff meet their duty to:
- * Eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment, victimisation and other prohibited conduct.
- * Advance equality of opportunity between those who have a protected characteristic and those who do not.
- * Foster good relations between people who share a protected characteristic and those who do not.
The above aims will be delivered within a reasonable timeframe, and in ways which are determined after taking into account the pupil’s disabilities and the views of the parents/carers and pupil.
The governing body also recognises its responsibilities towards employees with disabilities and will:
- * Monitor recruitment procedures to ensure that persons with disabilities are provided with equal opportunities.
- * Provide appropriate support and provision for employees with disabilities to ensure that they can carry out their work effectively without barriers.
- * Undertake reasonable adjustments to enable staff to access the workplace.
The plan will be resourced, implemented, reviewed and revised regularly in consultation with:
- * The parents/carers of pupils
- * The headteacher and other relevant members of staff
- * Governors
- * External partners
Our school is also committed to ensuring staff are trained in equality issues with reference to the Equality Act 2010, including understanding disability issues.
Our school’s complaints procedure covers the accessibility plan. If you have any concerns relating to accessibility in school, the complaints procedure sets out the process for raising these concerns.
The Academy's Accessibility Plan for 2020-2023 can be downloaded below.